In partnership with the Janssen Sports Leadership Center, this comprehensive Leadership Academy provides an ongoing and integrated approach to leadership development by targeting and training two distinct groups of student-athlete leaders (Emerging Leaders and Veteran Leaders) and distributes the training with multiple modules offered throughout the school year to maximize learning, retention, and application. In addition to the programming, the Leadership Academy also includes educational resources including The Team Captain's Leadership Manual for all participants to reinforce and extend the learning.
EMERGING LEADERS PROGRAM:
Designed for a select group of “high potential” sophomore and junior student-athletes, the Emerging Leaders program provides prospective leaders with the insights, strategies, and skills necessary to become effective leaders on their team, on campus, and in the community. Through ongoing workshops, interactive exercises, action learning experiences and readings, the year-long Emerging Leaders program provides a strong foundation for student-athletes to develop into effective team leaders. The emphasis of the program at this level is creating effective Leaders by Example while setting the stage for Vocal Leadership.
• Identify and develop high potential leaders in their sophomore or junior years
• Create solid Leaders by Example and set the stage for developing Vocal Leaders
• Build a strong network of peer leaders
• Develop leaders who support and learn from current team captains/leaders (succession planning)
• Teach prospective leaders how to gain respect and develop leadership skills with their peer group
VETERAN LEADERS PROGRAM:
Designed for team captains and veteran student-athlete leaders from all teams, the Veteran Leaders program provides established team leaders with advanced leadership training and support. The program teaches student-athletes the critical team leadership skills and insights necessary to be effective Vocal Leaders as they manage and conquer the day-to-day responsibilities and challenges of leadership.
In addition to the education, the Veteran Leaders program also provides student-athlete leaders with a strong peer network to lean on and learn from throughout the school year. Student-athletes meet regularly to learn and reinforce leadership principles and share successes, frustrations, and lessons.
• Encourage established leaders to step up and be Vocal Leaders on their teams
• Provide established leaders with ongoing support as they tackle the tough issues of team leadership
• Provide established leaders with a solid peer network for guidance and support
• Review and extend the insights and skills necessary to be a responsible and respected leader
• Establish a solid, cooperative and ongoing partnership with the coaching staff